Skip to content

What Equipment Do You Need To Provide An MOT?

  • by

What equipment do you require to provide an MOT?

All the rules and equipment required are available in the website. However, we can assist by highlighting the most important points about MOTs. The type of equipment and the specifications you will require will depend on the type of vehicle that you intend to test but to simplify, you’ll need to have one person testing.

A Pit or Vehicle lift equipped with Play Detectors (OPTL) that is safe for work load that is appropriate for the type of vehicle that you test

A Jacking beam that has a reliable working load suitable for the vehicle class that you test

The calibrated Roller Brake Tester to determine the effectiveness of braking, you’ll be required to verify that the MOT bay equipment that you receive is connected to the equipment and is included on the approved list for Roller Brake Testers

A Decelerometer that is calibrated (provided as an ancillary packs) It is necessary to make sure that the equipment supplied is connected to the to the right equipment.

A headlamp beam tester to make sure the headlamps on the vehicle meet the regulations.

A Emissions analyser to measure emissions fumes. You’ll be required to verify that the device that you will receive is compatible with the equipment and is in the approved list of Roller Brake Testers.

All the necessary tools for conducting MOTs are available in our MOT accessory kit

An Brake Pedal Depressor with a valid certificate of acceptance

A large, heavy-duty interior mirror ideal for workshops

What are the prerequisites for An MOT Bay That’s Successful?

The requirements for the DVSA’s list is extensive, but it is essential to make sure that you have the required equipment available in your garage.

The test bay, the premises and equipment layout have to satisfy certain standards. It varies depending on the type of vehicle you’re working with. We can provide advice on this, along with drawings in CAD that are that is provided to the buyer. For example, if , for instance, you want to test vehicles in class 7, vehicle entrances and exits should be at minimum 3.2m in height in height and 3.0m wide (assuming the standing area for testing brakes space isn’t part of the doors).

A CAD sketch is required when you submit it to the DVSA showing the equipment that is located in your bay. This must also prove that your bay is compliant with current regulations.

MOT Brake Tester and Beam Tester must be able to stand on a an even standing surface

A roller brake tester, headlamp beam tester and emissions analyser all need to be calibrated and regularly calibrated according to the regulations.

Are I able to provide legal MOT Tests?

MOT Testers must satisfy certain requirements for eligibility. This includes the following criteria:

Are holders of a valid UK driving licence and are competent to drive (legally) the vehicle they want to test on.

The tester should be a competent mechanic and be employed for 4 years in full-time work

The DVSA will take into the consideration any conviction classified as an offense of serious severity.

Anyone wishing to become a tester must possess an acceptable educational qualification/accreditation.

There are many ongoing obligations, such as staying current with the latest methods and regulations

Is it possible to connect MOT Equipment to the MOT Testing Service?

The website of the Government states that certain equipment connected to the internet has been made obligatory. There are some pieces of equipment that are able to made to be connected, please contact the manufacturer’s agent or the company of the manufacturer to get more information.